Sunday, March 17, 2013

17 Mar 2013
What a week this has been. I am so glad it is over. First, found out a dear family friend died suddenly. He was 55 and passed in his sleep. He has a brother with Down Syndrome that is good friends with Chris. They went to school together and Dan (who passed away) and I went to school together. He always checked in with me every few days to see how Chris was doing. So sad. Wednesday Chris and I went to the doctor for my weekly allergy shot and Chris had a routine check up. He was really out of it that morning and at the end of his checkup he said he hurt. Doctor said maybe he should rest when he got home. He noticed that Chris' fingertips were very blue so he checked Chris' oxygen level and it was low. I had to sit there for 20 minutes after my allergy shot so as we're sitting there Chris starts to cry and says he hurts. His eyes got that wild horse look with the white showing all around his iris and he made weird sounds. I yelled for the doctor and he came back in, checked his pulse and took his blood pressure real quick. It was 43/13. He told his nurse to call an ambulance immediately. Chris almost flatlined. His pulse was 30 something. I thought I was losing my precious brother. He was in the hospital this week but is home now. They ran all kinds of tests and his heart just isn't pumping enough. I thought it was the alzheimers or his medication but it is the down syndrome. What a cruel twist is that? He is on some medication and is resting at home. He is suppose to rest and is going back to the doctor on thursday. My precious precious boy. I stayed with Chris nonstop. I slept on the other bed in his hospital room. Normally they put a pacemaker in for this problem but I don't think he would handle that well. He's happy at home and feeling pretty good. I am watching him like a hawk. Chris' dog, Barney, has been very sick and on medications and friday he got so bad I took him to the vet while Jim stayed with Chris and sadly had to put Barney down. I cried and cried. This week has been so sad and such great losses for us all. I didn't tell Chris about our friend Dan and I didn't tell Chris about Barney. I took Barney into Chris' room so he could see him and he said "Who's dog is that?" I told him it was his dog and he said "Can I call it Lassie?" He didn't remember the dog or the fact that he named it Barney after Barney Fife. Such sadness! It's just more than a person can handle. Cherish each and every day. I love every minute that I have with Chris. Jim and I love Chris and make his days happy and carefree and no worries about anything. Chris makes our days bright and happy and full of joy.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I was wondering if you are on facebook... I have a daughter with down syndrome,and I had some questions I would like to ask you?

    Thanks so much!

    I also have a blog... http://kendrickfour.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to connect with you on FB. Your daughter is beautiful!

      Delete