Sunday, March 25, 2012

25 Mar 2012
Hello all! This is my first blog so bear with me. The purpose of this blog is to tell my journey with my brother Chris who has alzheimers. Chris was diagnosed Dec 2011 and my first feeling was anger. Chris has Downs Syndrome and I was so mad to think that this is how his life will end here on earth. Life hasn't been easy for him as it is and now this? It's not fair. I was really angry and sad. I'm still sad but not quite as angry as I was. Things aren't always fair in life and there isn't time to sit around feeling angry or bitter.
Chris and I have always been close. Ever since we were little kids, we have always been extremely close. We have always called  each other  buddy and we are best buddies. Chris is so much fun. We sing loud, laugh ALOT, and like to act silly. Chris loves to bowl, sing, watch Andy Griffith, play games, and loves to help me. He is in love with Dolly Parton. He goes on and on about "his" Dolly. Such an innocent love. I can't imagine what my life would be like without him. I don't even like to think about it but I have to. I have to prepare and get things settled and take care of Chris to the very end. Chris brings joy with him everywhere he goes. He brings joy and light into everyone's life.
Some information about Down Syndrome individuals with alzheimers; 50% of people aged 45 to 50 with Downs have alzheimers. Depending on how long a person with Downs lives, they all will have alzheimers. More research needs to be done. More education to the public. You hear alot about alzheimers but they never talk about the concern regarding Down Syndrome and alzheimers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment