Tuesday, March 27, 2012

27 Mar 2012
Today I have researching alternative treatments. I found some very exciting and useful information that I certainly am going to try with Chris. Chris has had a very good day today. He has been very active and happy. He did get alittle confused awhile ago but that's okay. All in all a very good day. :)

Vitamin E (400-800 IU per day) combined with Aricept has been shown to slow cognitive decline. I am going to try this since Chris is on Aricept.

Eat 1/2 c. frozen blueberries a day due to their great antioxidant benefits. Suppose to help patients with alzheimers. Most would think fresh would be better but freezing the berries makes the antioxidants in the berries skin more easily absorbed. This will be an easy one to do with Chris. I can add it to his morning cereal and his yogurt. I also fix a real simle dessert for us; sugarfree angelfood cake with berries on top and a dap of coolwhip lite. I usually use mixed frozen berries-raspberry, strawberry, blackberry, and blueberry.

Eating fewer animal fats and more fish is excellent for the brain. Another easy one for us since we aren't a big red meat eating family and we love fish; especially salmon and tilapia. Infact, we had salmon tonight. Living by the Tennessee River, we have access to all the catfish we want and we do like it but I figure it's probably not as healthy as other fish.

There are some excellent websites where I got alot of this info that everyone should check out. Both are from the University of Maryland Medical Center. They offer a wealth of information that all should read......

www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/who_gets_alzheimers_disease_000002

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/dementia_000046.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment